Returning to Racing – Our Plan
Here is the letter that Cortez Racing Association is sending to the Governor, County Supervisors and Port Commissioners. It is our hope to return to racing in some form in June. Cortez Racing Association (CRA) is a non-profit boating association dedicated to providing our members with the best sailboat racing in San Diego Bay. CRA has no land assets or employees and is run solely by volunteers to support its membership of over 150 boaters.
Sailboat racing is an active, non-contact outdoors sport. The open-air nature of the venue and the constantly moving boats contribute to the safe aspects of the sport for all involved. The sport does not attract spectators to a central area. We believe that the sport of sailboat racing can be conducted in a safe manner with regards to COVID-19 by following these guidelines:
– Social Distancing between boats is currently accommodated by the nature of the sport. CRA races are governed by the rules of US Sailing which prohibit boat-to-boat contact.
– All boats are to conform to guidelines issued by their own marina or launch site.
– Each boat racing will be required to register all persons aboard for purposes of contact tracing.
– The person in charge of each boat will assume responsibility for confirming that each person aboard has shown no signs of illness within the past 14 days and does not live with or had contact with any person who has had signs of illness for at least 14 days. Signs of illness can include cough, shortness of breath or trouble breathing; or at least two of the following: fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell.
– The person in charge shall be responsible for the cleanliness and sanitation of the boat prior to allowing persons on board.
– The person in charge will be responsible for providing soap and water and/or hand sanitizers to all persons on the boat.
– Face coverings will be required at all times for everyone on every boat.
– There will be no sharing of food or drink. Each person will be responsible for bringing their own food and drink.
– There will be no gatherings of any kind related to the race before, during, or after the races.
– There will be no raft ups.
The above guidelines will be incorporated into the documents that govern the race (Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions). These documents in conjunction with the US Sailing Racing Rules become the rules for the race.
In a typical calendar year CRA holds monthly races plus the Beer Can Series that runs for 10 Wednesday evenings in the summer. A modified schedule is proposed for the remainder of 2020.
Cortez Racing Association